Saturday, February 23, 2013

Balance

The other day I was complimented on my recent blog posts.  One person asked where I found the time to write.  I explained that I purposed my time to do so.

I recently attended a professional development session with Dr. Jan Harris.  Dr. Harris is Superintendent for Cullman City Schools.  She is a devoted educator and gifted speaker.  During the session, she gave an overview of her book The Principal's Office, A Primer for Balanced Leadership.  In her book, Dr. Harris explains how we should develop balance in four areas of our life. Her advice applies to everyone, leader or not.

The lessons I've learned from Dr. Harris have allowed me to live with a little less stress in my life.  When I purpose my time, I don't let one area of my life take too much away from another.  What I found as I began to purpose time is that I had been giving too much time to personal laziness while trying to call it "family time."  Another truth discovered is that each of us have different lives that we lead.  I have a busy life with two children involved in sports activities.  Someone else may have small children or aging parents that require attention.  However, we must purpose the time we have in order to accomplish all we want with little stress.

Recently, The Karate Kid (1984) has been on TV.  My son was watching a few days ago and asked me to join him. The karate teacher, Mr. Miyagi, teaches karate in a most unconventional method.  While learning karate, Daniel learns lessons about life.  In my opinion, the most important lesson taught was about balance.  Mr. Miyagi said, "Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up go home. Understand?  Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better. Understand?"

What's tipping your scale?

No comments:

Post a Comment