Sunday, February 10, 2013

Power of the Positive

What drives us to do things?  All of us have some motivating factor that makes us function.  In every situation, we do because of some motivator.  Fear, embarrassment, pride, and success can all be motivating factors.
Throughout my tenure as an educator, I've heard on numerous occasions about the power of positive praise. Yet, how much positive praise do educators practice on a regular basis.  I realize for some, it is a daily habit to tell students how well they are doing something or how impressive their attitude has been.  But for others, praise is almost non-existent.  Think about which works best for you.
I've tried using positive praise with those around me.  If nothing else, it sure makes me feel better.  I'd much rather be telling someone how great of a job they are doing than pointing out the simplest error.  That only stresses both of us. Legendary basketball coach, John Wooden, said he'd rather lead with a banner out front than from behind with a whip.

How many times each day are you positive?  I try to remember to be positive, but I sometimes fail.  I've even chosen everyday things to serve as little reminders to stay positive.  Kindergarten students are almost always positive.  Certain parents in the afternoon Car Rider Line are always positive.  Hallway displays and classroom displays generally reflect the positive.  If I forget, these little reminders keep me focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment